I plog. You plog. We all plog!
It's fun to say and, in the right circumstances, can be fun to do as well! Believe it or not, we did not make up this word. Plogging is a cultural phenomenon that is being practiced around the world. Plogging is great for you, your fellow athletes, and the environment.
WHAT IS PLOGGING?
- Plogging is the act of picking up litter while you're outside on a run or jog. Although the concept of picking up trash while running isn't a new one, it was really brought to life by Erik Ahlström in Sweden around 2016.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PLOGGING?
- You improve the scenery around you and support a healthy ecosystem.
- Get a fantastic workout! Squatting down to pick up litter during your run switches things up and keeps you challenged.
HOW DO YOU PLOG?
- It's simple! Grab a pair of gloves and a garbage bag. Go outside, start running and pick up any cans, wrappers, or other litter you find on the ground.
TIPS FOR FUN AND SAFE PLOGGING
- Make sure to wear sun protective clothing. Our multi-sport tops are perfect for this type of workout! Carry your phone, keys, and snacks in the roomy back pockets and keep your hands free for the job at hand.
- Bring a friend! It's always safer to run with a buddy and it's more fun, too.
- Use caution and discretion when picking up litter. Never pick up sharp objects like glass, needles, or razors. If you encounter this type of litter, alert your local non-emergency officials.
- Head to the beach! Running on sand is tough work. You'll get a challenging workout in and help reduce pollution in our oceans.
SO WHEN IS YOUR NEXT PLOGGING WORKOUT? HAPPY EARTH DAY, SIRENS!
Follow Tri Sirena on Instagram @tri_sirena_apparel