Watermelon: 7 Fun Ways to Serve the Perfect Summer Snack
Ice cream, corn dogs, apple pie...and WATERMELON! While other quintessential summer snacks are just plain fun and delicious, watermelon holds more value. Watermelon may be the perfect snack this time of year. This fruit boasts all sorts of beneficial vitamins, is fat-free and at 92% water, will help you stay hydrated. Here is a breakdown of the healthy benefits watermelon provides.
- Watermelon contains some of the highest levels of lycopene of all fresh produce. Lycopene is an anti-inflammatory antioxidant linked with heart and bone health. The more ripe and red your watermelon is, the more lycopene it has!
- Citrulline is an amino acid found in Watermelon which then converts to arginine. Arginine is another amino acid which has been shown to improve blood flow and reduce accumulation of excess fat.
- Staying hydrated should be a top priority for everyone, but especially athletes, during the summer. The high water content of watermelon, as well as the electrolytes found in its juice, makes it a great choice when you're trying to prevent dehydration.
- There have also been studies that show the citrulline in watermelon can improve your overall athletic performance.
If you're bored with the usual 'slice it up and pass it around' style of enjoying watermelon, let us help you jazz things up! Here are seven ways to serve this yummy, healthy treat.
- Spice it up! Sprinkle lime, salt, and chili over chunks of watermelon or use our personal favorite, Tajin seasoning.
- When in doubt, add cheese. Feta + watermelon = LOVE. If you're short on time but want to make an impression at this weekend's BBQ, try this recipe. It looks fancy but is simple and easy to create.
- Try something unexpected. Watermelon on the grill, whaaaaat?!?
- If adding cheese doesn't sound magical, there's always prosciutto. Bacon's thinner, more elegant cousin pairs well with this fruit.
- Watermelon goes great in any summer salad, too! Here is one idea, Watermelon & Watercress Salad with Ginger.
- Try freezer pops! Cut your watermelon into cubes, give each one a popsicle stick and toss them in the freezer.
- Watermelon is also the perfect sidekick for a mocktail OR cocktail. We love this refreshing Jalapeño Watermelon Margarita, since we also know the health benefits of tequila.
Are you "One in a Melon"? Show off your vibe in our newest triathlon apparel, the Rainbow Nation Collection! Stand out in these bright, bold and beautiful pieces.
Happy Watermelon Day!
Follow us on Instagram @tri_sirena_apparel