The Tri Sirena Skin Cancer Association
We are absolutely thrilled to share this project with you! Introducing, The Tri Sirena Skin Cancer Association.
WHAT IS IT?
- A non-profit organization inspiring sun protection, prevention, and early detection. The Tri Sirena Skin Cancer Association exists to lessen the blow of skin cancer in our community and among athletes.
OUR MISSION IS...
- To create opportunities for the early detection of melanoma and other skin cancers.
- To inspire sun protection and the earliest possible detection of melanoma and skin cancers.
- To create a world without melanoma and skin cancer through early detection, sun protection, and community education.
- To spread the message that it’s not “just skin cancer,” and enable the community to prevent and detect melanoma as early as possible.
- To battle melanoma and skin cancers as if our life depends on it: because it does.
- To start a movement against melanoma and skin cancer, inspiring sun protection, prevention, and early detection.
HOW WILL WE MAKE THAT HAPPEN?
- To begin, donations will fund the planning and execution of free skin checks at outdoor athletic events.
WHY SKIN CHECKS?
- It is not a priority for most people. For most, setting an appointment at a Dermatologist for a skin check is far from a priority. Many victims do not notice the earliest signs of skin cancer and are not educated on what to look for. They do not discover the cancer until it is at a later stage and difficult to treat because it has already spread elsewhere in their body.
- It is not enough to tell people to get their skin checked. Since we know early detection is paramount to survival, it is our goal to make skin checks easily accessible. Athletes attending outdoor athletic events and triathlons are especially susceptible given the countless hours they spend in the sun, so often with their skin exposed.
- It is not enough to promote UPF clothing. While we will continue to espouse the benefits of sun protective clothing, we know that even those who practice sun safety are not exempt from cancer. Skin cancer does not spare the young and healthy, the dark-skinned, or those who tan easily.
PLANS FOR THE FUTURE
- In the future, The Tri Sirena Skin Cancer Association will engage in additional ways to bring sun protection education to those who need it most. This may include sunblock partnerships, awareness campaigns, and helping local youth athletes practice sun safety in their most crucial and vulnerable years.
Learn more about The Tri Sirena Skin Cancer Association and how you can help by visiting trisirena.org
Follow Tri Sirena on Instagram @tri_sirena_apparel