If you’re anything like us, by the time the holidays are actually here you are TIRED.
Physically, mentally, emotionally… just exhausted. We adore our family, love shopping and giving presents, and enjoy treating ourselves to snacks and desserts. But inevitably everything takes its toll.
Why wait until January first to kick bad habits and feel your best? Before everyone else starts going crazy with New Year's Resolutions, here are some tips for taking care of yourself and getting your energy back NOW!
Listen to Your Body
You may feel like you HAVE to be perfect, attend every party, take care of everyone, and fit everything in. But keep in mind that you can't do anything to the best of your ability until you have cared for yourself. When you put self-care on the back-burner, your body will tell you when enough is enough! Having a hard time tuning in? Try beginning a home yoga or meditation practice. Close your eyes, slow your breathing and just listen. Practice for just five or ten minutes a day, consistently, and you will begin to notice a difference in your mental clarity.
Kick Bad Sleep Habits NOW
It sure is tempting to put this off until January. But the sooner you start getting better sleep, the sooner you will start seeing the benefits! Poor sleep quality can affect your cortisol levels, hormones, thyroid, adrenals, mood, and food cravings. Here are a few tips to not only get more sleep but to get more QUALITY sleep.
- Eliminate screen time one to two hours before bed. Artificial light will wreck havoc on your sleep! Read more about the negative effects of blue and artificial lighting here.
- Cut out those late night workouts. We know, we know. This one can be particularly challenging for athletes on a tight schedule. But vigorous exercise too close to bedtime will most likely keep you awake.
- Embrace the cold, cold darkness. Cover up or move any objects in your room that emit any light (even a little!) and turn the temp down low.
- Reel back on the caffeine, alcohol, and sugar. (You knew that one was coming!)
- Get into a pre-bedtime routine and stick to it. Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
Increase your melatonin. Melatonin works with your body to regulate your sleep. Sometimes, especially in the winter, levels of melatonin in the body get too low and may hinder sleep patterns. There are two easy, natural (and free!) ways to boost melatonin.
• Eat your veggies! Specifically: cherries, corn, asparagus, tomatoes and pomegranate.
• Stay hydrated. Dehydration can cause a drop in levels of melatonin in the body.
Be Realistic with Your Schedule
Sure, you could wake up at 3:30am and get that swim in before work. Then attend the holiday party after work. And then stay up until midnight wrapping presents. We're not saying it's impossible. But is it the best idea? Write your schedule down in a calendar, or use an app on your phone. Put everything in there, even personal time! Prioritize, decide what's truly important (like getting eight hours of sleep every night!) and cut out what isn't.
Communicate with Family & Friends
Need some help running errands or to vent about some frustrations? This time of year we celebrate the joy of wonderful family and friends. They love you. They don't want you to be stressed out. Reach out when you need to!
...to one of our many soft, comfy and super cute tops! It's called retail therapy for a reason. Then, after the excitement of the holidays, get something fun on the calendar for yourself! We would love to see you at a race or event. Find a race in your area and swing by for a mimosa. You can find our calendar of events here.
Those are our best tips for getting your energy back! What are your favorite ways to refresh yourself after a big event or holiday? Tell us in the comments below!
Follow Tri Sirena on Instagram! @tri_sirena_apparel