Foolproof Methods for Waking Up Early to Train
It's 4:30 am. The sun, birds and even your kids are still asleep. But your alarm is already going off. You reach over and turn it off before pulling the covers over your head, thinking "Ugh. Do I really want to do this?"
Winter can be a challenging time to stay motivated, especially when it means waking up before the sunrise and getting out of your warm, cozy bed. After all, it's cold and dark outside! The last thing you want to do is brave everything to go train outdoors.
But if you know us, you know we love a challenge. There IS a foolproof way to ensure you're up and at-em for every workout. You can do this!
Keep in mind...
- If you just set your alarm, hit the sack and plan on figuring out your workout in the morning...it's probably not going to happen. The night before is truly your key to success.
- We suggest one of two strategies when it comes to the dreaded alarm clock.
- Option 1: Set multiple alarms. You already know if this is your personality. Set a few to make sure you don't "accidentally" sleep through it.
- Option 2: Instead of the most annoying sound in the world, have your alarm start playing your favorite song to wake you up.
- Alternatively, there are alarms that will wake you up slowly and gently with LIGHT instead of sound. Consider investing in one of them.
- Set your thermostat so the house warms up when it's time for you to wake up. This will make it WAY easier to slip out from under those cozy covers. Alternatively, invest in a space heater just for your room that has a remote control.
- Layout your workout gear the night before. Try and pick an outfit you really love, are comfortable in, and that will keep you warm. Our long sleeve, multi-sport tops are perfect for layering! They also have plenty of pockets for stashing yummy snacks, your phone, or anything else you can think of.
- Create the perfect playlist with some of your favorites and some new jams to keep you going.
- Set the timer on the coffee pot (we didn't really need to tell you that though, did we?)
- Once your alarm goes off, don't hesitate. You've already planned out everything you need to do, so there is no brainpower needed here. Don't overthink it. Just GET UP.
- While your coffee is brewing, jump in the shower. Yes, you're about to get all sweaty and gross. But the water will help wake you up!
- Warm up indoors before you brave the cold outdoors. Do some jumping jacks, pushups, anything to get your blood pumping.
Connect to Your WHY
- If you've tried all these steps with no success, perhaps it's time to consider why you want to wake up and train in the first place. Are you just going through the motions because that's what you're "supposed to do"?
- Truly take some time to think about that. Does your body need a rest after a tough race season? Or are you just not feeling it?
- If you want to maintain your training schedule in the winter months, our best advice to stay motivated is to plan your race season! Find one, two or even three races to set your sights on. Keep a countdown posted somewhere you will see it often.
- If your body needs a break, that doesn't mean you have to quit your workouts cold turkey. Switch things up! Take a new class with a friend (maybe one that's heated and scheduled at 9 am, not 5 am), start an at home yoga practice, or spend time walking, hiking, or swimming (in the indoor pool) with your family.
To learn more about what off-season routine is right for you, check out this post written by Kyra Wiens, Professional Triathlete.
Follow Tri Sirena on Instagram! @tri_sirena_apparel
WHO ARE WE?
TRI SIRENA IS DEDICATED TO PROVIDING PHYSICIAN APPROVED, SUN PROTECTIVE, QUALITY CLOTHING THAT IS BOTH FASHIONABLE AND FUNCTIONAL FOR THE CASUAL ATHLETE, WHILE MEETING THE DEMANDS OF THE MOST RIGOROUS PROFESSIONAL THROUGH INNOVATIVE AND CONTEMPORARY DESIGN. OUR VISION IS TO REDUCE THE SKIN CANCER RISK IN ALL OUTDOOR ATHLETES WHILE HELPING THEM SWIM FASTER, RIDE HARDER, RUN FARTHER, AND LOOK GREAT DOING IT. LEARN MORE HERE!